Scene 8


INT. TATTERDEMALION MERCH AREA - NIGHT
Arden, phone in hand, stands behind the booth where Customers buy t-shirts and CDs from the various bands’ Merch Vendors. The products closest to him all bear an interlocking YY logo.
He looks above him and sees a huge poster of Yasmine Youngren, a pure Glam Metal singer in a faux-seductive pose.
ARDEN
(to himself)
Fuckin’ perfect.
VOICE ON PHONE
Hello?
Arden is thrown off by the poster.
ARDEN
...uh, hey Mom. It’s me.
ARDEN’S MOTHER
(over phone)
Albert! How are you?
ARDEN
I’m good. Just working on a deal right now.
ARDEN’S MOTHER
Are you still with that nice girl? What was her name... Eberdeen?
ARDEN
Ebaneen, Mom.
He looks into the crowd and sees Ebaneen and Trent making out. His face contorts in disgust.
ARDEN
Yeah, she’s uh... she’s here with me now.
ARDEN’S MOTHER
Oh wonderful. I always liked her. Tell her I said “hello”!
ARDEN
Yeah, I will. Listen... you know how you helped me out last month?
ARDEN’S MOTHER
Oh dear. The transfer didn’t go through?
ARDEN
No, it did, but, uh... I actually need a little more.
ARDEN’S MOTHER
Well, I suppose I can cut back on my expenses for a while. If it helps you get your food delivery business stable, it’ll be worth it.
ARDEN
Thank you. You don’t know how much that means to me.
ARDEN’S MOTHER
As long as you’re not doing that heavy metal music any more, I’m happy to help. What do you need - a couple hundred?
Arden rubs his mouth uncomfortably.
ARDEN
Five hundred, actually. And uh... I need an electronic payment made to a company I’m working with right now. Tatterdemalion Holdings.
ARDEN’S MOTHER
Okay, I’m writing that down.
ARDEN
Thank you. And uh... the deal is closing now, so if you can get it to me kind of quick...
ARDEN’S MOTHER
I’m already starting up the computer.
Arden looks up - there’s a strange reaction coming from the audience.
ARDEN
Love you Mom. I gotta go.
He hangs up the phone - and sees Trent walk past with a TRAMPY METAL CHICK (early 20s) on his arm.
ARDEN
(to himself)
Are you shitting me?
Trent and the Trampy Metal Chick step into an elevator. The door closes behind them.
Arden pushes through the crowd and gets over to the elevator. A THUGGISH SECURITY GUARD (30s) eyes him up.
THUGGISH SECURITY GUARD
You need somethin’?
Arden points to the elevator door.
ARDEN
This goes backstage?
THUGGISH SECURITY GUARD
It goes behind the stage.
ARDEN
Oh, okay. Then I’m just gonna--
He starts off, but the Guard stretches out an arm, blocking him hard. Arden holds his chest - he’s lost his breath.
THUGGISH SECURITY GUARD
No one gets through without creds.
Arden, wincing, reaches into his pocket and pulls out a laminated pass that says “BAND”.
ARDEN
Does... unh... that work?
The Guard waves him through. He presses a button and the door opens for Arden.
THUGGISH SECURITY GUARD
Shoulda showed me that earlier.
Arden, still in pain, walks past the Guard into the elevator.
ARDEN
(muttering to himself)
I would have if you fuckin’ asked!
He presses a button and the old gate and doors close on him.